Thursday, December 24, 2009

Whirlpool washing machine...having Sears repair it...good idea?

I got this washer as a ';freebie'; from the person I bought a dryer from this past weekend. It's a good looking Whirlpool washing machine (model: LBR4132JQ1)





It appears to have the Timer Control device (what the large selector knob attaches to) jammed. I looked up the part new from Sears, and it's selling for $100. I see them used on eBay for $50 (part # 3946451).





I just called Sears to come out this weekend to ';diagnose and repair'; the washing machine. It's costing $75 for the repair call, and if I let them repair it, they will credit the $75 towards the labor/parts cost. Is this something I can easily fix myself, or is it a good idea to pay them to come out, diagnose it, and pay to have it replaced?





My other option was ';for $215, we will cover all parts/labor on this service call'; which I declined. The fact is, I can buy a new washing machine for less than $300, I don't want to get in too deep on this...





Any opinions on how hard this job is to do?Whirlpool washing machine...having Sears repair it...good idea?
The part number I get for that model is 3951166 not 3946451, so there is some obvious confusion. You state that the timer is jammed. Is it possible that the timer knob has ';screwed through the plastic knob'; and it is the knob that is jamming? I have had that problem once or twice. Changing the timer is a pretty easy and straight forward job if you are certain that is what the problem is. Most places have a policy of no returns on electrical components that are installed (even briefly). Question...why would you call Sears to come out when just about any independent contractor is familiar with Whirlpool? Sears is one of the most expensive ways to go in my opinion.


The timer knob turns off counterclockwise. There are 2 screws on the front bottom of the console that you remove and then flip the whole console up. Timer is easily accessible. Call any appliance parts store, they should have access to the timer if they don't have it in stock. You can also send the timer out for rebuild at about 1/2 the cost of a new timer if you want to go that routeWhirlpool washing machine...having Sears repair it...good idea?
Replacing a timer is fairly easy to do, most have a quick connect wire harness. At my family owned repair service, the cost to fix this would be $110 for the timer and $68 labor, which is our standard charge for most jobs. Hope this helps!
Go with the sears repair option. Let them be responsible for the repair
I'm not a service repairman, but have you attempted to unscrew the area that the knobs are attached into and checking it out yourself first? Take off the plastic or metal covering to show you the ';guts'; of what area you think needs attention? Perhaps you can answer your own question this way.





As for Sears, I have never had GREAT experience with their contracted technical guys. I'd suggest that if you do go the repair man route you just call a local, reputable, appliance shop and schedule a service call with them. The cost is pretty much the same. You will always pay for the part. The $75 charge is the ';call'; charge which is their hourly rate - so you are paying for a minimum 1 hr visit for labor even if it takes them 5 minutes to fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment